Welcome to my blog/ Bem-vindos ao meu blog/ Bienvenidos a mi blog.

"Living´s not waiting until the storm ceases, but learning how to dance in the rain"....

"Cuándo el mundo te deprima, observa lo que te rodea com objetividad. Avanza de manera positiva y recuerda que eres tú quien lleva las riendas".

"Tudo vale a pena quando a alma não é pequena"

"Sigam-me os bons!"

segunda-feira, 1 de agosto de 2011

Idioms about relationships...




To hit on someone/ to come on to someone: dar em cima de alguém.

Bob hits on every woman he talks to.

Womanizer/ lady killer: mulherengo

She doesn´t get involved with anyone because she thinks men are all womanizers.


Stud: garanhão


Marie would really like to go out with James, even though she knows he´s a stud.


To two-time someone/ to cheat on someone: trair alguém


If I ever find out my boyfriend´s two-timing me, I´ll break up with him without hersitation.


To make up: fazer as pazes, reatar o namoro


They had an arrgument last week but now they´ve already made up.


To make out with someone: dar uns amassos em alguém


Dana met Jim at a party and they made out all night.


To be a third wheel: segurar vela


I´m single and most of my friends are dating, so I don´t go out with them because I don´t like to be a third wheel.


To go steady with someone: namorar sério


We´ve been going steady for 5 years.


To be a spinster: ser solteirona
To be on the shelf: estar encalhada


She´s 37 and she´s never been married. I think she wants to remain a spinster. I always tell her to go out and meet someone but she never listens to me, so I say she´ll be on the shelf forever.


To have a crush on someone: ter uma queda por alguém


Rachel has a secret crush on Eric but she´s afraid of letting him know about it.


To have a fling: ter um "caso" passageiro


Those guys never go steady with anyone. They say having a fling is more fun cause they can get to know a lot of different women.



A catch: um bom partido, um peixão


Paul is good-looking, nice and rich. I think he´s a great catch.


A keeper: (pessoa) ideal para casar


He introduced his girldfriend to his parents and they loved her. They said she was a keeper.


Eligible bachelor: solteiro cobiçado


Michael is single again, but several girls have their eyes on him and now he´s the newest eligible bachelor.


A matchmaker: "cupido", arranjadora de casamentos


She´s met her boyfriend through a common friend of theirs. They keep telling her she´s an awesome matchmaker.


To be free and unfettered: estar livre e desimpedido


Joe dated the same woman for 7 years but they broke up. Now he says he´s free and unfettered to do whatever he wants to.


Wolf-whistle (to): (fazer) fiu-fiu


Construction workers tend to wolf-whistle at every lady that walks by the place.

To carry a torch for someone: pagar um pau para alguém, arrastar um bonde por alguém (nossa, essa expressão é velha em Português!! Vixe!!):


Can´t you see? She´s always carried a torch for you!



To be (way) out of someone´s league: ser muita areia p/ o caminhãozinho de alguém



I can´t believe he´s asked me out! I hope he´s not way out of my league, after all, he´s only dated pretty girls.



To be dumped/ ditched: tomar um fora.
(To dump/ ditch someone: dar um fora em alguém)


Jane has dumped that guy because he wasn´t good enough for her.


Prince charming: príncipe encantado


He´s quite handsome but he´s  no prince charming though.



To be head over heels in love with someone: estar perdidamente apaixonado por alguém


Her son´s head over heels in love with a woman who´s 10 years older than him.



Love at first sight: amor à primeira vista


Do you believe in love at first sight?


To go on a blind date: ir a um econtro às escuras (sem conhecer a pessoa)


I´ve gone on a few blind dates. What about you?


To fall/be in love with someone: apaixonar-se por/ estar apaixonado por alguém


My neighbor got divorced because he fell in love with his secretary.










Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário